OPEN TO QUALIFIED CONTINUING AND INCOMING USAO STUDENTS FOR THE 2014-2015 ACADEMIC YEAR
DEADLINE TO ENTER CONTEST: FEB. 14, 2014
Criteria for Submission:
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must be a full-time student making Satisfactory Academic Progress according to USAO policy. ANY major may apply.
Write a 300-500 word essay addressing the topic: “How is America doing – politically, socially, economically?” You may choose to address all, two, or only one of the three descriptors.
- Essays must be submitted to the USAO Financial Aid Office, Troutt Hall 112, by February 14, 2014.
- Essays MUST be typed AND double spaced. A separate cover sheet providing your name, contact information, and the last four digits of your social security number MUST accompany the essay. The pages of the essay itself must not be identified with your name, only the last four digits of your SSN.
Committee Judging Criteria:
- The winning essay will be judged by the selection committee for “Proficiency in written expression, dedication to a commitment of citizenship and service, and clarity of thematic development.”
- The award will be $1,000 payable in the 2014-2015 academic year ($500 fall, $500 spring).
- Winners must consent to share their essay with the benefactors.
- If the selection committee feels no entry warrants the award, no award will be given.
- This is a permanently endowed scholarship and will be offered every year.